Later, in 1946, the Camp Reynolds barracks-type housing was assumed. The Authority constructed 76 units on this site in 1952 and named it Frank L. Fay Terrace. Construction was stepped up with an additional 100 family units in Sharon known as Malleable Heights and 31 apartments in Mercer to be named Valley View Homes. Sharpsville Gardens’ 60 family apartments were built just one year later with Mesabi Street being erected in 1960 and Herbert Garster Homes in 1962.
Elderly housing was sorely needed, and the Authority opened A.W. McDowell Manor in 1963 in Sharon that offered the first elderly apartments in Mercer County. Demand called for the construction of 70 additional elderly units in Sharon. George J. Vermeire Manor was built in 1970.
The year of 1977 brought the transfer of Buhl Memorial Center on Federal Street in Farrell to the Housing Authority. It was re-named the “MCHA Community Center”. Later that year the Authority constructed 75 Section 8 New Construction elderly apartments in Farrell that became known as Ira B. Lavigne Manor. In 2006 the “MCHA Community Center was re-named “Chavers Community Center”.
Just a few years later, the Authority completed 36 family units of Section 8 New Construction in Farrell at two locations – Maceo E. Patterson Place and Lewis R. Landay Apartments.
In Sharon, Francis J. Fornelli Manor was added in 1984 with its 44 elderly units. Silver Street Estates and North Street Heights, totaling 12 family apartments; and Pine Hollow Village with its 38 family apartments were erected also in 1984. Authority Administrative Offices were moved from Quinby Street to Fornelli Manor. However, offices outgrew its space and were again moved in 1991 into the remodeled Jefferson School Building, just adjacent Fornelli Manor.
In 2003 and 2005 a total of 20 privately managed elderly units were constructed in the City of Mercer named Heritage Square.
A HOPE VI Program was completed to revitalize the Steel City Terrace Extension in Farrell, now named Centennial Place. 100 family housing units were demolished and replaced with new apartments at low-income and market-rate rentals.
A 40 unit community of elderly housing was constructed on Lamor Road in Hermitage in 2006 named Carol S. Gurrera Villiage.
2011 brought L. Dewitt Boosel Estates to Russel Street in the City of Sharon adding 20 elderly units in a 3 story building.
In 2015 Carol S. Gurrera Village II was completed adding an addition 20 units to the Lamor Road site.
Today, Mercer County Housing Authority offers 945 family and elderly units with many sites offering community centers for training, resident services, and recreational activities. The Chavers Community Center on Federal Street in Farrell houses the Shenango Valley YMCA afterschool program.